- 1 big carrot, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 7 cups water to make the fish stock
- the heads and the shells of our shrimps
- 1 ¼ cups olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 sprig of parsley
- 250g prawns
- 250g mussels
- 1 medium cuttlefish diced
- 250g clams
- 1 tomato, peeled, chopped and crushed
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon paella colouring
- 1 teaspoon Spanish paprika (= pimentón dulce)
- 100g frozen garden peas
- 2 cups of short grain rice
- 6 cups of fish stock
- 1 small tin of green olives (preferably stuffed with anchovies)
- 1 small tin of roasted red peppers
- water (if required)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 langoustines
For the fish stock
- Pour a dash of oil in a pot. Brown there the carrot, the leek, the red pepper; and then the shrimp heads and shells. This brownness will bring color and flavor to our paella.
- Add the water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat skimming the surface. Above it put a steaming basket containing the mussels and the clams. Cover with a lid for them to open their shells. Let boil for 7 minutes. Sieve it.
- Remove clams and mussels from their shells (but discard those that didn’t open). Put aside.
For the paella
- Crush the garlic, pepper and parsley in a pestle and mortar with some salt.
- In the paella pan pour the rest of the oil and set heat to medium. Add onions and cook for 3 minutes until starting to soften. Then add the cuttlefish and sauté.
- Add the paprika and stir. Add the tomato and the peas, and sauté. Add the shrimps and stir-fry. Add the mussels and the clams that you put aside.
- Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice (evenly through the pan). When it starts boiling again add the salt and sprinkle the paella coloring.
- Let simmer for 17- 20 minutes add water if rice soaks up the liquid. Five minutes before the end add the langoustines, the olives and the roasted peppers over it.
- Stirring occasionally so the rice does not stick to the bottom. Nevertheless, if some of the rice sticks to the bottom of the pan is delicious.
- Take off the heat and cover for 10 minutes to let all the flavors mix together.